In modern smartphones, we have come across various screen sizes and displays, some of the earlier screens were classed as LCD-IPS displays later the technology upgraded to LED, OLED and AMOLED displays. This article will attempt to make a distinction between both OLED and AMOLED displays and discuss their advantages and disadvantages.
OLED is Organic Light Emitting Diode, for the shorter-term you can call it Organic LED, it is comprised of an organic material that emits light when the charge/current is passed through it, it is used to display rich and vibrant colors. The OLED is further classified into POLED and AMOLED, Samsung uses AMOLED technology in their devices mainly and LG uses the same technology implementation as POLED.
AMOLED reads Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode, this is an upgraded type of OLED which is mainly used in large platforms, it also contains TFT (Thin Film Transistor) which further consists of the storage capacitor.
The Major difference
Both the LED types are used to display vibrant colors and better objects, OLEDs display much better blacks and consume less power as compared AMOLED. While AMOLED display is better controlled for larger displays, it consumes more energy and carries TFT technology which is very crucial for this type of display. AMOLED puts no restriction on screen size while OLED does.
There are several advantages of both types of displays, the pros and cons are listed below:
Advantages of OLED Display
- OLED display carries plastic, organic, thinner, lighter and more flexible layers
- OLEDs are brighter and vibrant than LEDs however, darker and dull as compared to AMOLEDs
- There is no need for backlighting like LCDs
- The display size of OLEDs can be increased but limited, however, OLEDs are cheaper to produce.
- OLEDs display large fields of view, about 170 degrees.
Advantages of AMOLED Display
- The AMOLED display is more flexible to any display size without any restrictions
- AMOLED also produces a faster refresh rate along with dark and inky blacks.
- The AMOLED display provides true color contrasts, more vibrant and more attractive
- The super AMOLED display is the same but with enhanced performance
- AMOLED display consumes more energy as compared to other displays