Factor that will be Responsible for Google Search Engine Ranking Next Year
There are dozens of ranking factors which are used by Google. In this post, we have listed top 50 factors which will help you in effectively boosting your search engine ranking:
Google gives importance to these factors when ranking your website:
- Domain Name (Website URL/Link): This should have your brand name or targeted keyword. Websites URLs which have keywords at the start really helps your ranking. For example: Keyword is Software, you can get software.com, software.net, softwarehub.com, softwaredownload.com, yourbrand.com, (brand)software.com
- Country TLD Extension: When you have global audience it is recommended to get .com, .org or .net. However, if you are targeting the audience of a specific country then use country extensions like .uk for Britain, .us for America.
- Domain Length: Your website URL should not exceed the limit of 20 characters (TLD included). For example: yahoo.com has 9 characters.
- Public or Private Registration: SEO experts have preferred public registration over private one. However, private registration has its own merits. Fact is it does not play any significant part in search engine rankings. Private registration has greater protection against email spams so it has nothing related to rankings.
- Domain Registration Time: You should purchase a domain name for at least 2 years and experts recommend getting registration for 3 years.
Web Page Factors
Any web page or post of your website should have these factors:
- Title should have keyword: It is most important factors for ranking your web page. Each of your web pages should have a keyword in its title. You can start the title with the keyword or make a catchy title which attracts audience attention. So when it appears in search engine results, they promptly click on it. One way to make a good title is to start the title with WH family words and then put the keyword. For example: Keyword ”Search Engine Optimization”, Title: What is search engine optimization? Why is it important?
- Length of title: Your web page title should have below 65 characters. Search engines results only display 65 characters of the title. If your title is above this list, it will spoil your web page.
- Description should have keywords: The description tag of your web page should include the keyword. It’s an essential factor in search engine ranking. Your description should be relevant to content of the web page and it should make sense to your audience. Related keywords can also be used in description. For example: keyword: Buy Note 7, Description: Buy Note 7 at unmatched discounted price, First 100 buyers will enjoy 10% on their orders. Offer is valid until the stock lasts, so purchase Note 7 now!
- Description Tag Length: Search engine results only display 156 characters in description and you should not exceed this limit. If you do so, it will spoil ranking of your website.
- Main Content Length: There is no hard and fast rules related the length of the main content. It all depends on what kind of information you are providing to your audience. It is important your content should have complete information regarding the main topic. Main topic is the one for which you have created that specific page. Your page should have all the information so that your readers are satisfied with it. Search engines give importance to this factor.
- Keyword Density in Page: Any of your post should include 2% of your targeted keyword. You can also use related keywords other than that limit.
- Loading Speed: Your web pages are only ranked higher by the search engines, if they load faster and have relevant content. 5 seconds is the minimum loading speed and it should be completely loaded in 10 seconds.
- Say no to duplicate content: Presence of duplicate content will negatively impact your rankings in SERPS. Do not post same article with little edits again and again. Work on existing article and make it better. Search engines don’t like websites with duplicate content.
- Rel=Canonical: Sometimes a single post on your website has duplicate URLs. Search engines can penalized your website for duplicate content. You can avoid this by using Rel=Canonical.
- Webpage URL: The URLs directing to your main content should be clean. Your main content URLs should not have these characters “;”,”/”, “?”, “:”, “@”, “=” and “&”.
- H1 Tag should include keyword: Google Search Bot considers your content relevant to the search engine query if its H1 tag has keyword. It is very essential search engine ranking factor so use it wisely.
- OutWard Links or OutBound Links: You have to link relevant content of your web pages in these links. Use only those websites which have higher ranking and authority.
- Spelling and grammar mistakes: Your website and its webpages should be free from grammatical and spelling errors.
- Unique Content: Your content writers should write genuine and plagiarism free content for your website. You should not use content of already indexed pages on your website.
- Broken Links: It means your website should not have links to any web pages that don’t exist on your website.
- Simple Layout: The layout of your content should be user friendly.
- Use Alt Tag for videos and images: Images and videos on your webpage should have Alt tags.
- Org Microformat: You should embed your web pages with Micro Formats as it is an important factor in search engine ranking.
Your entire website should have these factors:
- Contact Us Page: This is an important search engine ranking factor as it shows your website belongs to a genuine person.
- Relevant Pages: Make sure your website have relevant pages. Search engines give higher rank to those websites which have higher number of relevant pages.
- SiteMap: Search engine bot quickly index web pages of those websites which have site wide sitemap. This factor also indicates to Google the importance or priority of your content.
- Website Uptime: Google and other search engines don’t like those websites which suffer from downtime. They can even remove such websites from the search engine results.
- Privacy Pages and TOS: These pages show that your website has transparent policies and trustworthy. It is important in search engine ranking.
- Mobile Friendly: All of your themes/templates should be mobile responsive. So your website is compatible with all portable devices.
- Navigation: You should categorize your content into proper menus and categories. This function helps to make your website user-friendly.
Off Page/Off Site Factors
- Backlink’s domain age: Your website gets higher rankings if older and higher ranked websites redirect to your site. Don’t link your website to new websites with fewer rankings.
- Quantity of Linking Domain: Search engines will give higher ranks to your website if it has plenty of linked domains.
- Number of good backlinks: If your website has higher number of relevant and good quality backlinks, it will have higher ranking. It does not matter if it’s from same domain.
- Backlinks to Higher Authority Website: As mentioned earlier, back linking to higher authority websites play great role in getting good ranks. Good PR domains with higher authority act like a magic for your ranking. You can use do follow backlinks of these domains.
- Diversify your backlinks: Use different sources for creating backlinks for your website like news websites, blogs, forums, video sites, document sites, article directories etc. etc.
- Contextual Links: Focus on creating backlinks on the main page as these are way better and relevant than backlinks in other objects of pages. Contextual links are helpful in getting good ranking.
- Backlink Anchor Text: Search engines get relevancy signals from anchor text used to point towards your website.
- Backlink Age: Older backlinks not only help in getting trust but also in SERP.
Audience Related Factors
Audience means the visitors of your website which use search engines, given below factors play important part in getting higher ranks. However, these are only helpful when your website has been listed and indexed by search engines.
- CTR or Click through Ratio: The more people click on your website through search engines, the more you will get higher ranking.
- Organic CTR for keywords: All of your keywords on a web page with higher CTR boost your ranking.
- Direct Traffic: Direct traffic on any website is detected by Google with the help Chrome browser and likewise Bing analyzes through internet explorer. The more direct traffic you get, more ranking you get.
- Repeat Traffic: Your website will send a quality signal to Google and other search engines, if it has large ratio of repeated visitors.
- Dwell Time: If your audience stays longer on your web pages, it will help you in getting good rankings.
- Bounce Rates: SEO experts do not agree on role of bounce rates in ranking. But Google use audience as quality testers i.e. how much dwell time they are spending or not spending on a particular web page.
- Social Sites Sharing: This type of sharing is like creating a backlink to your website.
- Number of Comments: This factor indicates user interaction on your website.
Image credits: redkite