The teachers in Islamabad staged a protest against HEC. They demanded the removal of the chairman HEC. The teachers who took part in the protest are affiliated with the Federation of the All Pakistan Universities Academic Staff Association. They protested against the policies of the Higher Education Commission.
As per reports, Dr. Sohail Yousuf-the President of the Federation of the All Pakistan Universities Academic Staff Association said that the HEC’s discriminatory policies were unacceptable. He called for the immediate removal of HEC Chairman Tariq Banuri and his “incompetent team” and demanded that:
- The post-PhD condition for appointment on the basic pay scale be removed
- The issues of teachers serving under the tenure track system be immediately resolved
- The retirement age for university teachers be increased to 65 years
- Terminated teachers should be restored
- The HEC stop intervening in universities’ autonomy
- The budget for higher education be increased
The teachers rejected the HEC’s new policy on research journals and admissions and asked for secure employment, increments, and promotions. They also demanded the restoration of the National Research Programme for Universities and tax exemptions for researchers.
On the other hand, the Pakistan International Airlines has announced a special package on Eid-Milad-Un-Nabi for the travelers.