Smog is a thick yellow black fog that spread in the air and can cause severe health problems. It is also called ground-level ozone. Air pollution, the combination of emission and fumes with fog and sunlight form a layer in the atmosphere called smog.
Recently residents of Punjab are facing issues as smog has engulfed many cities of Punjab including Lahore, Multan, Bahawalpur, Bahawalnagar, Hafizabad, Gujrat, and Khanewal.
Causes of Smog in Punjab:
- Lack of rain
- Cutting down trees
- Smoke from vehicles, factories
- Burning of crops
Effects of Smog on Residents of Punjab:
- Health problems (breathing, asthma)
- Visibility has jumped to 200-300 metres on the Lahore to Pindi Bhattian motorway
- Business activities slow as people are hesitant to go out
- Drive with caution
- Switch on fog lights
- Wear face masks as a protection against breathing problems, eye, nose and throat infections.
- Punjab government ban stubble and municipal solid waste burning
- 150 factories causing pollution closed
- Special traffic arrangements to avoid traffic jam
Rain and strong winds are the only solutions to smog
Why is twitter bashing Punjab government on smog issue?
For projects like Orange Line, many trees were cut. The Punjab government did not adhere to environmental policies on it. This deforestation is the major cause that led to smog in Punjab. These tweets tell us how Punjab government is being criticized for their lack of responsibility.
— M. Saad Arslan Sadiq (@Arslan_Sadiq) October 31, 2017
— Mehek Naeem (@meheknaeem) October 30, 2017
— Mmmm… (@Waqas_amjad) October 31, 2017
— HaJra.S (@Haju00) November 1, 2017
#Smog to kill Human beings,
Human beings killing trees
Punjab Govt should wake up and do some serious Tree projects to protect environment.
— Abdul Rehman ?? (@Maanistan) November 1, 2017