In today’s world, every single field has fierce competition and to be able to be successful, one needs to have remarkable learning and focusing abilities. This need has led to an increase in the popularity of medicines that are capable of stimulating the functions of the central nervous system of the brain.
The medicines that can stimulate the functions of the central nervous system often contain nootropic substance in them and are often referred to as smart drugs. Though there is not a great deal of scientific evidence available to prove the effectiveness of these drugs, there have been few studies in which it was found that these drugs are quite capable and can demonstrate effective results.
Nootropics have become extremely famous and a lot of people are making these medicines a part of their life. Here we have mentioned some of the things about nootropics that are worth knowing.
History of Nootropics
Corneliu E.Giurgea, a Roman chemist coined the term nootropic which is made up of two Greek words that mean mind and bend. The first nootropic drug was found in 1960 and at first, its primary use was helping people suffering from motion sickness. A decade later, this category of drugs was tested in labs to check their cognitive enhancement abilities.
The very first nootropic drug to be invented was Piracetam. After this, a wide range of nootropic drugs was invented that were mostly consumable. Since then, numerous studies have been conducted and different types of nootropic drugs have been invented that could lead to improved cognitive functions of the brain.
Popularly known as smart drugs, nootropics are substances that are considered to be effective in improving the cognitive functions of the brain. For instance, these drugs and supplements can act as memory enhancers and even lead to a greater level of creativity.
The reason why these drugs are referred to as smart drugs is that they can have a positive impact on an individual’s memory, creativity, and motivation level. These, in turn, can facilitate learning and give the person a major boost in achieving different tasks that require the cognitive functions of the brain.
In the early years, not many people used nootropics, however, with time this trend has changed significantly. There has been a dramatic increase in the demand for nootropics all over the world. This demand has created a global market for these brain-boosting drugs.
Research has revealed that these drugs are not as risky as they are often deemed to be. That is why nowadays a lot of people who wish to achieve success in today’s ever-so-competitive world end up consuming these smart drugs. The use of nootropic drugs is known to be prevalent among college-going students.
Nowadays, there are plenty of different types of nootropics that can be found at pharmacies, however, there are few that have managed to be become extremely popular worldwide because of their benefits. They are major sellers in the consumer market and have demonstrated excellent results.
- Aniracetam: Sold as a prescription drug, Aniracetam is one of the most renowned nootropic supplements in the world right now. Aniracetam is known to have demonstrated remarkable changes in the learning and focusing abilities. Apart from these, they can also lead to memory enhancement.
- Oxiracetam: Oxiracetam belongs to the Racetam category of drugs. Famous for its effectiveness in enhancing cognitive abilities of the brain, this water-soluble drug is one of the most famous nootropic drugs in the world right now.
- Piracetam: This is one of the most highly recommended medicine that too belongs to the racetam group. While this may not lead to enhanced cognitive functions of the brain, this particular nootropic is known to have a positive effect on those suffering from depression and anxiety.
- Huperzine: Widely used for a variety of age-related issues such as memory impairment, Huperzine is a remarkable nootropic drug. It is often used for people who suffer from Alzheimer’s disease. Apart from that, it is also effective in improving one’s memory and focusing ability.
- Choline: Another nootropic drug that is cited as effective in improving the cognitive performance of the brain is choline. Apart from that these supplements can also prove to be effective for the liver.
- Phenylethylamine (PEA): Phenylethylamine is another renowned nootropic that is touted for its incredible benefits. This drug is cited as a potent stimulant for the central nervous system. From improving memory to upgrading one’s learning skills, these drugs are quite capable and have demonstrated great results.
Though by nature, nootropic drugs are supposed to be free of any kind of side effects, it has been found that few people may experience certain side effects.
Before consuming brain-boosting drugs like nootropics, it is crucial to be aware of the possible side effects. There are different types of nootropics, while some have memory enhancing abilities while others are mood elevators and the possible side effects may vary from one drug to another.
The most common potential side effects of nootropics are a headache, brain fog, discomfort in digestion, alleviated anxiety levels, insomnia and mood imbalance.
While it is crucial to have a basic understating of the nootropic drugs, it is equally important to be aware of the fact that there are many smart drugs that have not FDA approved.
So, it is extremely important to maintain proper caution while consuming these smart drugs and also be mindful of the fact that before taking any of these drugs you should consult with a specialist to know about the possible side effects and the precautions to maintain.
That being said, there are many people all over the world who have used nootropics and have experienced significant changes. From enhanced memory to better learning ability, these smart drugs can demonstrate a positive change in the cognitive functioning of the brain.