A sensitive information about the defense programmes of Australia has been compromised in an “extensive” cyber-attack.
At least 30GB of sensitive data has been stolen by the hackers in the cyber-attack on the contractor of the government, the stolen data includes details about the new fighter jets and navy vessels. The data was commercially sensitive but not classified, it did not know if the state was involved, the government of Australia said.
The security breach began in July last year, but the Australian Signals Directorates (ASD) was not notified until the November. The identity of the hacker is still unknown.
Defense Industry Minister, Christopher Pyne told the Australian Broadcasting Corp on Thursday, that the suspects who involved in the attack could be a number of different actors. It could be a state actor or a non-state actor. It could be someone who was working for another company.
While talking to the Australian Broadcasting Corp, Mr. Pyne said that he had been assured the stolen information was not a risk to national security.