PM Khan Directs Mechanism for Subsidy on Flour

subsidy on flour

PM Khan has asked on Tuesday to formulate a mechanism that is aimed at ensuring stable prices of wheat throughout the nation and to offer direct flour subsidy to the ones living below the poverty line.

As per reports, while chairing a meeting to review the prices of essential commodities, the prime minister observed that there was no shortage of edible items in the country and promised steps to ensure the stability of the prices of commodities, especially in the flour and wheat.

The meeting considered various proposals to ensure the availability of items of daily use at suitable prices. PM Khan directed the provincial governments to launch, without any discrimination, a full-scale drive against hoarders and profiteers with the help of district administrations.

The prime minister directed the Food Security Minister Syed Fakhar Imam to immediately design a comprehensive action plan on the availability of flour at reasonable prices in consultation with the provincial governments, representatives of the Flour Mills Association, and other departments. In Directive was also issued for the constitution of a committee, headed by the food security minister.

Also Read: Sahulat Bazaars Offering Items at Affordable Rates: Dr. Yasmin

Special Assistant to PM on Youth Affairs Usman Dar submitted a report compiled with the help of Tiger Force volunteers, enlisting ground realities regarding the prices of items of daily use. The prime minister appreciated the services of the volunteer forces.

The meeting was informed that 20 kgs flour bag was being sold in Punjab at Rs 840 at 368 Sahulat bazaars. These bazaars registered 60% sale of flour, whereas, on daily basis, the remaining 40% flour could not be sold out due to lack of customers.

The meeting was further briefed that Sindh province was releasing more than 8,000 tonnes of wheat on a daily basis. PM Khan directed the Punjab government to ensure availability of flour at Utility Stores Corporation (USC) according to requirement.

Industries and Production Minister Hammad Azhar apprised the meeting that 100,000 tonnes of sugar had reached Karachi, out of which 25,000 tonnes was purchased by the USC and 75,000 tonnes by the Punjab government.

The minister further said that sugarcane crushing season in Punjab would start from the 10th of November, which would relatively bring down prices of sugar. The same process would kick-start in Sindh from November 30, he added.

More Read: Pakistan Cannot Afford Another Lockdown: PM Khan

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *