At least 49 people died after an attack on two crowed mosques in New Zealand during the Friday prayers. The Prime Minister of New Zealand Jacinda Ardern described the incident as “one of New Zealand’s darkest days”.
According to the witnesses of the incident, they saw bloodied bodies, with children also believed to be among the dead, however, the police warned of ‘extreme distressing footage’ of the incident circulating on the internet.
According to the New Zealand Police department, four people—three men and a woman—had been detained and a number of improved explosives devices had been recovered and neutralized.
A Palestinian man who was in one of the mosques during the Friday prayers said that he saw someone being shot in the head.
“I heard three quick shots then after 10 seconds it started again. It must have been an automatic weapon as no one could pull a trigger that quick,” the witness, whose name has not been disclosed, told AFP.
“Right after the shooting, the people started running out. Some people were covered in blood,” he said adding that he joined the group of running people and managed to escape the scene.
According to the reports of local media, as many as 49 people have lost their lives and the South Island city was placed under lockdown.