FC Barcelona’s Star Lionel Messi retains the European Golder Shoe award as a top scorer across all the European Leagues.
It was believed that Liverpool’s Mohammed Salah will beat all its rivals by the end of the season but he managed to score only four goals in Barclays Premier League by the end of March and his big rival Messi, on the other hand, scored whopping eight goals in La Liga.
With 34 goals in domestic league Messi scored two more goals than Salah, Tottenham’s Harry Kane retained the third position by sending 30 balls back of the net.
Lazio’s Ciro Immobile, Inter Milan’s Mauro Icardi, and Bayern Munich’s Robert Lewandowski held the 4th position by scoring 29 goals and making 58 points.
The Golden Shoe ranking is mainly based on points rather than goals, the goals scored in European top 5 leagues returns two points. Jonas of Benfica scored a total of 34 league goals equal to Messi but the goals in lower leagues like Portuguese league only provides 1.5 points, Jonas comes at the 9th position despite scoring 34 goals.
This is the fifth time Lionel Messi takes this award, Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo has won the award four times, the first he won with Manchester United in 2007-08.
Christiano Ronaldo despite winning the FIFA best player of the year award remains at the 8th position with 26 goals. Barcelona’s another player Luis Suarez makes it to the top ten list by scoring 25 goals.
Here is the list of top 10
- Lionel Messi, Barcelona, 68 points, (34 goals)
- Mohamed Salah, Liverpool, 64 points, (32 goals)
- Harry Kane, Tottenham Hotspur, 60 points, (30 goals)
- Ciro Immobile, Lazio, 58 points, (29 goals)
- Mauro Icardi, Inter Milan, 58 points, (29 goals)
- Robert Lewandowski, Bayern Munich, 58 points, (29 goals)
- Edinson Cavani, Paris Saint-Germain, 56 points, (28 goals)
- Cristiano Ronaldo, Real Madrid, 52 points, (26 goals)
- Jonas, Benfica, 51points, (34 goals)
- Luis Suarez, Barcelona, 50 points, (25 goals)