BEIRUT (Reuters) – A bomb blast near the Lebanese capital, Beirut, has killed at least 78 people and injured more than 4,000, while the Red Cross said the death toll could rise sharply in no time.
According to the international news agency Aljazeera, Lebanese Health Minister Hamad Hassan said that a great tragedy has taken place in Beirut. The death toll could rise many times over. At present, all the hospitals in the city are full of injured.
According to the news agency, a horrific explosion took place in the port area of Beirut around 6 pm local time on Tuesday, as a result of which the surrounding areas were shaken and buildings and vehicles in different parts of the city were destroyed. According to the British News Agency, the destroyed buildings include the house of former Lebanese Prime Minister Saad Hariri, but Saad Hariri is safe.
According to the local news agency, the blast took place in a warehouse where the confiscated explosives were kept. Lebanon’s interior minister says a preliminary investigation has revealed that the warehouse contained sodium nitrate seized from a ship a year ago and was to be disposed of. The blast was heard several kilometers away, and buildings shook in the distance.
Earlier, Lebanese Health Minister Hamad Hassan confirmed that hundreds of people had been injured in the blast. In addition, photos and videos taken from buildings near the site of the blast show the devastation caused by the magnitude of the blast and the smoke billowing into the surrounding area. A bomb blast near the northern city of Beirut has killed at least 78 people and injured more than 4,000, but the Lebanese Red Cross says the death toll could rise sharply.
On the other hand, according to the information received from various sources, the scope of the destruction of the blast has spread to a very large area in the city of Beirut and as a result thousands of families have lost their homes. It should be noted that the Prime Minister of Lebanon Hassan Diab has announced a day of mourning in the country on Wednesday.
It Seems A Forceful Attack Rather Than An Accident
While the officials at Lebanon consider it an accidental explosion there are some voices out there that say things otherwise. The Prime Minister of Israel was quoted by Twitter
The tweet by PM of Israel was little out of context, one could see the chain of tweets and there is a difference in the context, he tweeted just an hour before the attack happens and his tweet is in a political, war politics context.
Kelly O Donnel, White House Correspondent @NBCNews firmly believes that it was not an explosion, an accidental explosion because it doesn’t look like the one, it clearly is seen as an attack. A forceful one single attack. She quoted President Donald Trump and
She wrote, “The president at his WH briefing offered support to the people of Lebanon following today’s massive explosion. He added, “It looks like a terrible attack.”That is curious because publicly it has not been disclosed that this was an intentional act or an accident.”