Due to academic misdeeds, misconduct, and noncompliance, four Pakistani universities have been ordered by HEC to stop admitting students in any degree program whatsoever.
The four universities are Preston Institute of Management Sciences and Technology (PIMSAT) Karachi, Imperial College of Business Studies, Lahore, Global Institute, Lahore and Al-Khair University AJK.
The universities were given many warnings but with no effect, so finally the action was taken. Not just the universities but their sub campuses are also asked to halt admissions.
Also read: Degree verification made easier by HEC
At the directive of PM, HEC Panel visited universities across Pakistan to review the quality of education given and governance practices. Those universities that failed HEC criteria were asked to improve the issues within specific time given.
The HEC notification said that “However, the educational institutions have still not complied (with the directives) despite reminders and, therefore, have been asked to stop admitting students in all of their academic programs.”
It further said, “As a practice, the HEC regularly issues parent and student alerts in national and regional newspapers as well as through social media, warning the public to check from the HEC website the list of recognized institutions as well as accredited programs. The students are continuously warned that the HEC will not attest degrees or certificates obtained from such universities or institutes claiming their affiliation.”
So now a list has been uploaded by HEC of both recognized and non-recognized universities for parents and students. Also a list of accreditation councils is also available that provide accreditation of respective degree programs. They are:
- Pakistan Bar Council (PBC)
- Pakistan Council for Architects and Town Planners (PCATP)
- Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC)
- Pakistan Medical & Dental Council (PMDC)
- Pakistan Nursing Council (PNC)
- Pakistan Pharmacy Council (PCP)
- Pakistan Veterinary Medical Council (PVMC)
- National Council for Homoeopathy (NCH)
- National Council for Tibb (NCT)
- National Accreditation Council for Teachers Education (NACTE)
- National Agricultural Education Accreditation Council (NAEAC)
- National Computing Education Accreditation Council (NCEAC)
- National Business Education Accreditation Council (NBEAC)
Also a Pakistan Qualification Register is being developed by HEC, an online database that would have list of all approved degree programs by HEC in public and private universities.
The notification also said, “Though the majority of universities have provided the information, some universities that have been slow in responding to the notices are being advised to enter their degree programmers in PQR at the earliest so as to streamline above-mentioned processes.”