The Higher Education Commission (HEC) has imposed a ban on MPhil and Ph.D. degrees from 13 universities. Enrollment has been banned in 13 universities of Pakistan offering virtual learning programs. The reason for the ban is that they fail to meet the criteria set by HEC.
Muhammad Ismail HEC Consultant of Quality Assurance Division sent a letter to the university administration stating, “Further admissions in any of the distance education programs being offered by universities are stopped immediately till finalization of recommendation by the committee.”
Furthermore, it is being directed that the students enrolled in any MS\MPhil\PhD programmes should be shifted to other disciplines of the universities so that they don’t go through any loss. This decision may impact almost 4000 students.
The reason for imposing this ban as per HEC media section is that the distance learning universities are not adhering to the guidelines set by HEC. The HEC media section said, “In some cases, universities have not even got the approval of their own statutory bodies.”
Also, it was also revealed that these universities do not have an adequate faculty for providing education to the students. As per HEC, more than 70,000 students are enrolled in virtual learning programs offered by universities all over Pakistan. But these universities are violating basic rules set by the Commission.
Also, the universities did not have any proper ICT system and the attendance was marked over the weekend with no transparent system in place.
The 13 universities included in the list are
- International Islamic University, Islamabad
- Virtual Campus COMSATS Institute of Information Technology, Islamabad
- University of Peshawar, Peshawar
- Gomal University Dera Ismail Khan
- Government College University, Faisalabad
- University of Agriculture, Faisalabad
- The University of Faisalabad
- Islamia University Bahawalpur
- Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan
- Sukkur IBA
- Shah Abdul Latif University Khairpur
- University of Sindh, Jamshoro
- University of Balochistan, Quetta