Mobile gaming is a significant phenomenon. It is one of the largest sources of making revenue for the gaming industry. The gaming industry makes for a huge number of gamers throughout the world.
As per Google, the developing countries makes for forty per cent of the complete game downloads from Play Store. The trend of shifting towards the technology equipped phones—generally referred to as the smartphones, is also on the rise in the emerging markets like Pakistan, which provides an opportunity for the game developers to tap into.
Keeping this in mind, Google has introduced an Indie Games Accelerator in Asia, focused on assisting the local game developers from these markets for achieving their full potential and to make the most of this opportunity.
The Indie Games Accelerator would assist the businesses from India, Vietnam, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Pakistan.
The program would be of four months and would help one to get up to speed with the present gaming trends and would also provide with a detailed gaming curriculum under the guidance of the best mobile gaming professionals.
Experts would include Mark Skaggs—the developer of Farmville and Cityville on Facebook, Noah Falstein—former chief Game Designer at Google and Shainiel Deo—the CEO of Halfbrick studios; the studio behind the Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride.
There would be three major points of consideration for the accelerator:
|Game Development||Google Platforms (Android Studio, AR Core, Firebase, Google Cloud, Instant Games), Design best practices, Unity|
|Business Development||YouTube Gaming, Monetization models, Google Play Console, User Acquisition best practices and more|
|People and Team Culture Development||building company culture, Hiring the right people and leadership development|
What You Get From The Program
The Indie Game Accelerator would provide the following things:
- An invite to attend two all-expense-paid gaming boot camps at Google Asia HQ in Singapore
- A chance to get personalized mentorship from the top-level professionals of Google and the gaming industry
- A chance to be showcased on Google Play
- One Google Pixel phone to test the product
- An amount of US$20,000 in Google Cloud Platform and Firebase credits, with training and assistance
- An invite to attend the Google Playtime 2018 in Singapore. Playtime—is an invitation-only event organized for the top professionals and game developers on Google Play
- A Delegate Pass to Google I/O 2019
- An invite to a unity “unite” event of one’s preference in SEA or India
Google would be paying for the air travel, accommodation and the meals for the duration of the boot camps.
It is important to mention that the delegate pass to Google I/O would only allow one to enter the conference, the expenses of travel and others for the dev conference would not be paid for.
Eligibility Criteria and Procedure to Apply
- The eligibility criteria for attending the boot camp is that one should be above eighteen years in age and must have a game under making
- Previous developed games could also be added in the application form
- Additionally, the applicant would have to submit a playable demo of their recent game under development or their latest game on Google Play.
Google would announce the selected developers for the program on the August 8. Once chosen one would need to have two significant execs available for attending the two programs in Singapore.
All one need to do is to fill out and submit the application form for applying for the program.
Dates to Remember
The important dates to remember are:
|31st July 2018||Form submission deadline|
|8th August||Announcement of 1st batch|
|24th – 28th September||Program boot camp 1 (Singapore)|
|27th-29th November||Graduation boot camp (Singapore)|