The top police official of New Zealand said that the suspect who carried out the terror attacks in Christchurch on Friday and killed 50 people was likely on his way to carry out a third shooting attack before he was stopped by the authorities.
As many as 50 people lost their lives when an Australian national gunman opened fire inside two mosques last week. The authorities of New Zealand have charged the Brenton Tarrant, 28, with murder charges in connection with the brutal killings. More charges are expected.
Mike Bush, the Police Commissioner of New Zealand said on Wednesday that the authorities “absolutely” believed they stopped the suspect “on the way to a further attack.”
“Lives were saved,” the police commissioner added, but declined to go into the detail to not “traumatize others.”
According to the details, the first funerals were held on Wednesday for Khaled Mustafa, 44, and his son, 15-year-old Hamza.
Hundreds of New Zealanders stood in solemn silence at Memorial Park Cemetery, graves had been dug to bury the dozens of victims.