It indeed is an inspiring also an amusing news that a British-era school present in Rawalpindi is still functional and providing education.
Back in the year 1879, when the British were laying the railway tracks in Rawalpindi, they noticed the need for an English language school for looking after the needs of the children of British Railways officers.
On the 30th of October 1882, a brigadier general, civil surgeon, loco superintendent, inspector of schools, deputy commissioner and two chaplains met for discussing the idea for a school, and hence the school foundation was laid near the Royal Artillery (RA) Bazaar.
The European Day School inaugurated on the 8th of March 1883 to 30 students. After 2 years the school was renamed as the Station school.
Although the school was initially opened and was meant for the education of the children of the British officer, locals also started seeking admissions because of the high quality of the education the school was imparting and its popularity.
The school was linked to the Christ Church on The Mall which was next to the army’s General Headquarters, however, after partition the school was put under the management of the Lahore Diocesan Board of Education, attached to the Manchester Diocesan Board of Education which was also affiliated with the Federal Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education.
The main school building was a typical structure of bricks, which is like that of many government schools and hospital buildings established under the British rule.
As a primary school, it has just one building with a few classrooms. However, when it was upgraded to a secondary school a new building was attached to meet the new requirements.
The school also contains a hostel for the orphans and the children of single parents.
The school principal—Primrose Samuel said that it is their objective to impart education to the children so they would become useful citizens who care for the people and society.
More Read: Glow Park Opened in Bahria Town Rawalpindi